Sunday, July 5, 2015

Documentary Response 2:

The Musee du Lourve was more amazing than I dreamed it would be. I got so emotional being in the same room as the famous artworks that I have studied was just a overwhelming feeling for me, so much so that I cried. I still can not believe that I am so blessed to be in Paris!!

The main painting that I was so excited to see was the Raft of the Medusa. ThĂ©odore GĂ©ricault was the artist. It was done in 1818 to 1819. The painting Raft of the Medusa is based of a the shipwrecked of the ship Medusa. After the ship wrecked the survivors had to drink salt water eat the bodies of the dead. As we know salt water does not mix well with the human body. In the painting you see the very small raft with bodies hanging off of the raft. There is a half eaten body on the side of the raft! It is very morbid.

However, through the morbid and sadness there is glimmer of hope. In the upper right hand corner you see the man on the top of the pile of bodies. He is waving a piece of fabric. If you look hard in the upper corner you can see a very small boat coming to save them.


The next one that I really enjoyed was the Winged Goddess of Victory. Also known as Nike of Samothrace. She is amazingly beautiful. The sculpture has no arms and head. It was found in 1863 by Charles Champoiscau. She is massive. You can see the scale of the people walking beside her. You walk up the stairs you are in awe of her size! 

The Goddess has a simple fabric going across her body. You can see her abs through the fabric. She is just breathtaking! I had to get a picture with her, so I just walked upstairs to get all of her in the photograph.  


The last one might is also an piece of at work to me at well. I really love the famous pyramid entrance. The pyramid  was completed in 1989. The architect was I.M.Pei. Since the completion of the pyramid it has become a famous landmark in Paris, France. It is simply made of glass and metal. The contemporary style is in such contrast with the classic architecture of the Louvre building.That is one reason why I love it so much! It is just a perfect mix of new and old style. 





No comments:

Post a Comment